Fudgy Beetroot Brownies Recipe (Gluten free)
250g Salted butter, cut into cubes
250g Dark chocolate (50-70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
3 Free range eggs
250g Light brown sugar
150g Buckwheat flour (normal white flour works well too)
250g Beetroot, cooked
25g Cocoa powder
50g Icing sugar
50g White chocolate chips or nuts such a brazil, walnut, pecan or macadamia (optional)
Kit list: Oven, shallow baking tin, greaseproof paper, 2 mixing bowls and spoons, sieve, whisk (electric ideally), grater. Preheat oven to 180C.
1.Grease a shallow baking tin, approximately 20 x 25cm, and line the base with baking parchment
2. Put the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt in short 30 second bursts in the microwave, stirring in between each one
3. Grate the cooked beetroot and leave to drain in a sieve over a bowl (reserving the liquid for the icing)
4. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until combined then beat in the melted chocolate and butter until smooth.
5. Finely grate the cooked beetroot and leave to drain in a sieve over a bowl (reserving the liquid for the icing)
6. Sift the flour and cocoa powder over the chocolate mixture, then gently fold in with a large metal spoon. Fold in the grated beetroot, reserving the drained liquid – be careful not to over-mix or it will make the brownies tough
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 22 minutes; when the brownies are done, a knife or skewer inserted in the centre should come out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
8. Don't be tempted to overcook them or they will be dry. Remove the tin from the oven and leave on a wire rack
9. To make the icing, sift 100g of icing sugar in to a bowl, then add a few drops of beetroot juice at a time until you have a running icing – you can always add more icing sugar if need be
10. Drizzle the icing over the brownies, cool in the fridge before cutting in to squares.
11. Will keep up to two weeks in the fridge, or freezer for up to 3 months, also delicious served warm with ice cream, simply microwave for 30 seconds and enjoy!